Cadence Wealth Limited is an appointed representative of Intrinsic Financial Planning Limited and Intrinsic Mortgage Planning Limited, which are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Intrinsic Financial Planning Limited and Intrinsic Mortgage Planning Limited are entered on the FCA register under reference 440703 and 440718. Registered in England and Wales, No: 10040034. Registered address: 1 Aire Street, Leeds, LS1 4PR
By Drew Mitchell
Now that Dry January is finally over, many will be getting back to the familiarity of old routines with many other New Year’s resolutions also falling by the way side. Not so for some members of the Cadence team, as during the month of February, they will be taking part in a completely different challenge when they attempt to run at least 10km everyday to raise awareness for men’s mental health.
It’s widely known that running, like many other physical activities and sports, can help people feel better. Skeletal muscle appears to have a detoxification effect that, when activated, can protect the brain from mental illness.
Exercise is also believed to encourage the body to release serotonin, which improves mood. Ultra-marathon runners often speak of 'surfing a wave of serotonin' while covering the type of distances that make non-runners cringe.
The distance of 310km is significant to Cadence Wealth as it's the distance between our two UK offices as we celebrate the company’s expansion, moving from our Leeds base down to our new London HQ at The Tanneries next to London Bridge later this year.
Our partner, The Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) is an award-winning charity dedicated to preventing male suicide in the UK. CALM works to prevent male suicide by providing frontline services for men, promoting culture change and campaigning for better understanding of suicide and prevention.
Fundraising Director of CALM, Anna Jones, is extremely pleased with the team’s efforts in continuing their healthy start to the year and with the support they continue to offer the charity. Talking about the charity and the work that they do, she added “The Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) is a charity dedicated to preventing male suicide, the single biggest killer of men under the age of 45 in the UK. We take a two-fold approach to changing and saving lives: firstly providing support for men who are down or in crisis, and secondly campaigning for culture change to tackle outdated stereotypes of masculinity that often prevent men seeking help."
"We do this in the face of a problem that is deeply entrenched. Many men feel forced to stoically "man up” – whatever that means – and grind through bad times without societal permission to open up or seek help. CALM’s research shows males are less likely than females tell someone about going through depression. The result? Men are three times more likely than women to take their own lives, and 12 men on average die by suicide every day”
The Charity are involved in their own Westminster 10k campaign every July and encourage anyone who is up for the challenge to join the team. Further information on CALM can be found on their website, along with some other details below including how you too can get involved.
• A free helpline 0800 585858 and webchat (5pm – midnight daily), which are accredited, anonymous and staffed by trained professionals
• theCALMzone.net, CALM’s website, hosting inspiring content written by men for men alongside information and support
• CALMzine, a free quarterly men’s lifestyle magazine to entertain, inform and inspire young men
• Successful campaigns tackling stereotypes of masculinity and mental health, including #DontBottleItUp, #ChangeThePicture, #BiggerIssues and #ManDictionary
• Male suicide is the single biggest killer of men under the age of 45 in the UK
• There were 6,117 suicides in the UK in 2015 of which 75%, or 4618, were male (NISRA, GRO, ONS)
• Male suicide costs an estimated £20m each day (each suicide is estimated to cost £1.67million)
SIGNPOSTING CALM’S SERVICES
• Founded in 2006, the Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) is an award-winning charity dedicated to preventing male suicide. For more information visithttps://www.thecalmzone.net/
• CALM’s helpline & webchat are open daily 5pm-midnight https://www.thecalmzone.net/get-help/
• Worried about someone? https://www.thecalmzone.net/help/worried-about-someone
- Run for CALM – we have places on challenge events across the county, including the Brighton Marathon, the Great North Run, the British 10k and the York 10k
- Best Man Project - Being a best man is the perfect opportunity to be a great mate. But why wait for a wedding? The Best Man Project is all about celebrating the power of friendships in men’s wellbeing, and how to look after each other as mates. Watch the film and join the #BestManProject here: http://bit.ly/BestManProject
- Volunteer for CALM - CALM is a grassroots campaigning organisation, reliant on the skills, time and energy of a huge team of dedicated volunteers to shout loudly, raise awareness, and make an impact. Find out how you can spread the word
You can track the progress and exploits of the team on a daily basis by following the blog https://10keverydayrun.blogspot.co.uk/ (starting on Wednesday 7th February) while they run at least 10km everyday for 31 consecutive days. There is also a JustGiving site dedicated to the challenge with all proceeds going to CALM https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/10keverday
We wish them all the best of luck.